par j.james | Août 27, 2015 | Bangladesh
Chevening Scholarship Award for Bangladeshis.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
Sixteen Bangladeshis have received the Chevening Scholarship Award to study in the UK this academic year, a big increase compared to four last year.
The British High Commission said High Commissioner Robert Gibson hosted a reception for them at his residence on Wednesday.
Chevening is the UK government’s flagship international programme that allows “future leaders, influencers and decision-makers from around the world to learn, build on their experience and unleash their potential”, the High Commissioner said.
“They are joining an elite group of global future leaders,” he said. Read More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 26, 2015 | Bangladesh
Visas for the Bangladeshi pilgrims.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
Saudi Arabia has so far issued 80,000 visas for the Bangladeshi pilgrims for performing the upcoming holy hajj.
The newly appointed Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Abdullah HM Almutairi to Bangladesh made the disclosure when he called on Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali at his office in the capital on Wednesday, reports BSS.
During the meeting, the Saudi envoy also informed the foreign minister about the progress of issuing Hajj visa for the Bangladeshi pilgrims who intend to perform the holy hajj this year.
Besides, Ambassador Almutairi discussed with the minister about the exchange of high level visits between the two countries. Read More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 25, 2015 | Bangladesh
Illegal migrants bring back at home.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
Bangladesh is bringing back 125 illegal migrants rescued by Myanmar from the sea.
They will be repatriated after a flag meeting between Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Myanmar’s immigration department on Tuesday through Myanmar’s Dhekibniya.
Cox’s Bazar BGB 17 Battalion Commander Lt Col Md Robiul Islam said he would lead a 18-member delegation to the meeting consisting of BGB, District Administration and Immigration officials.
International Organisation for Migration (IOM) National Programme Officer Asif Munier said they have completed all formalities for the repatriation.
He added that one or two more people could be included in the list to be handed over to the representatives during the flag meeting. Reading More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 23, 2015 | Bangladesh
Lidia May in Bangladesh.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″] After wooing shoppers in Los Angeles, London and Berlin, Lidia May, a design house that makes beautiful handbags, is now in Bangladesh. They are being launched through the premium handbag e-commerce store called La Rouge. A two day open-house event will be hosted by La Rouge on Friday, August 21, at Amari Hotel in Gulshan from 5pm-8pm and their finely hand-embroidered bags will also be on display on Saturday from 10am-8pm.
Founded in 2014 by American designer May Yang, the brand aims to create skills among slum women and preserve the hand artistry heritage of Bangladesh. The company has also pledged to donate a part of its profit every year to help fund the school in Nuton Bazar.
For a sneak peek into their latest collection, log into www.facebook.com/larougeshopbd.[/su_column] [/su_row]
Lidia May in Bangladesh.
Après courtisé les acheteurs à Los Angeles, Londres et Berlin, Lidia May, une maison de conception de beaux sacs à main, est maintenant au Bangladesh. Ils sont lancés à travers le magasin « sac e-commerce premium » appelé La Rouge. Un événement « portes ouvertes » sera organisé deux jours par La Rouge, le vendredi 21 Août, à Amari Hôtel à Gulshan de 17 heures-20 heures et leurs sacs brodés à la main finement seront également exposés le samedi de 10 heures-20 heures.
Fondée en 2014 par le concepteur américain mai Yang, la marque vise à créer des compétences entre les femmes du bidonville et de préserver le patrimoine artistique de la main du Bangladesh. La société a également promis de faire don d’une partie de ses bénéfices chaque année pour aider à financer l’école dans Nuton Bazar.
par j.james | Août 19, 2015 | Bangladesh
Bangladesh is building garment villages to double clothing exports.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
The rapid growth of Bangladesh’s garment industry has been a blessing and a burden to the country. Even as it has provided jobs to millions and helped Bangladesh cut its poverty rate, it has also exploited the nation’s poorest and most desperate, leading to the gratuitous and preventable deaths of thousands.
So invaluable is the industry to Bangladesh that the country is doubling down on the business, despite the repercussions. Already the world’s second largest exporter of clothing by some estimates, Bangladesh intends to double its apparel exports to $50 billion by 2021.
The country’s commerce minister, Tofail Ahmed, announced the plan last week, including the creation of a “garment village” in the southeastern port city of Chittagong — a major export hub — to help the country hit its goal. That village follows on one already under construction in the city of Bausia, being funded by a state-owned Chinese firm. The Bausia village is expected to house more than 200 factories and contribute up to $5 billion in export value. Read More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 19, 2015 | Bangladesh
Dhaka ranks 2nd worst city for 3rd year in a row
Dhaka has ranked the second least liveable city in the world for the third consecutive year, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2015 Global Liveability Ranking.
The capital of Bangladesh has been dubbed with the indication for the third year in a row while the immensely affected and war torn city of Damascus, Syria, has been ranked the worst livable city.
Dhaka Tribune – mercredi 19 août 2015 10:23
par j.james | Août 17, 2015 | Bangladesh
Bangladesh choosen by ITU for an Award in ICT.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has once again chosen Bangladesh for an award for the country’s significant progress in information and communication technology.
“The ITU has awarded Bangladesh several times earlier. It has decided to honour Bangladesh again with the ‘Award for ICT’s Sustainable Development’,” Cabinet Secretary M Musharraf Hossain Bhuiyan told reporters on Monday.
He said Bangladesh was selected this year in recognition of its achievement in ensuring use of information and communications technologies for sustainable development.
ITU Secretary General Houlin Zhao has sent a letter to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in this regard.
State Minister for Post and Telecommunications Tarana Halim handed over the letter to Hasina after the regular Cabinet meeting at the Secretariat on Monday, Bhuiyan said.
He added Zhao in the letter requested the prime minister to receive the award at a function in New York on Sep 26, on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.
The prime minister’s schedule in this regard is yet to be finalised. Read More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 17, 2015 | Bangladesh
Seeds of extrmism should not take root in Bangladesh.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
UK Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Hugo Swire has opined that the seeds of extremism should not take root in Bangladesh.
In a blog titled “Freedom of speech is a right to be defended” posted on Friday, the UK minister also made a call to commend, and protect the “rich tradition of freedom and religious tolerance” in the country.
He wrote the blog following the brutal killing of Bangladeshi blogger Niladri Chatterjee, also known as Niloy Neel.
Terming the murder as “extremism above all,” he wrote: “It shows both extreme cowardice and extreme ignorance. Cowardice because five men with machetes put a single unarmed man to death. And ignorance because if you have good enough arguments, you really don’t need to resort to murder. Read More … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 15, 2015 | Bangladesh
Bloggers say they can hardly trust police.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
[/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
Several bloggers say they can hardly trust police for security after receiving death threats.
They say they have lost faith in police for delivering on investigations of murdered fellow bloggers.
Four secular bloggers have been murdered in the past six months and police has failed to crack any of these cases.
After the murder of Niladri Chatterjee Niloy this month, bdnews24.com received a letter from ‘Ittehadul Mujahideen’ threatening to kill 19 people, which include bloggers, ministers, teachers, and Ganajagaran Mancha organisers.
Police says they have never heard of a radical Islamist group called ‘Ittehadul Mujahideen’
bdnews24.com has spoken to several of those threatened by the group.
Ganajagaran activist Mahmudul Haque Munshi said a police detective wanted addresses of some bloggers after the threat.
“I communicated with those bloggers and explained the matter to them; but none of them agreed to take help from police,” he said.
No one can rely on the police now, he said. Continue Reading … [/su_column] [/su_row]
par j.james | Août 13, 2015 | Myanmar
Myanmar health minister curbs military appointments after rare protest.
[su_row][su_column size= »1/3″]
Reading More … [/su_column] [su_column size= »2/3″]
Myanmar's health minister on Wednesday scrapped plans to fill more of the 300 vacancies at his ministry with military personnel, after thousands of people joined a rare online protest against eight initial appointments.
The Black Ribbon Movement, launched this week by medical workers and doctors following the appointments, called on the government to end the "militarization" of the ministry.
"We had planned to appoint more people from the Ministry of Defense, but we won't go ahead with the plan since it's against the wishes of most people from the medical field," Health Minister Than Aung told Reuters.
"I know there is a social media campaign about the decision. It's difficult for us to remove the people who have already been appointed, but that won't happen again," said Than Aung. [/su_column] [/su_row]